US says it will no longer seize reporters’ records in leak probes

US says it will no longer seize reporters’ records in leak probes

WASHINGTON– The United States federal government stated Saturday it would stop covertly getting press reporters’ phone and e-mail records throughout examinations into political leakages, ending a practice that was frequently slammed as weakening press flexibility.

The New York Times today reported that under Donald Trump’s administration and continuing under President Joe Biden, the Justice Department battled a concealed legal fight to gain access to e-mail logs of 4 of its press reporters in a hunt for leakage sources.

The Department of Justice stated in a declaration that “in a change to its longstanding practice — (it will not seek compulsory legal process in leak investigations to obtain source information from members of the news media.”

It included that it had actually “finished an evaluation to figure out all circumstances in which the Department had pending obligatory demands from press reporters in leakage examinations.

“All reporters involved have now been notified.”

White House press secretary Jen Psaki stated “the issuing of subpoenas for the records of reporters in leak investigations is not consistent with the president’s policy direction.”

Among other media outlets, CNN reported last month that the Trump administration had actually covertly looked for and gotten phone and e-mail records of among its reporters.

Read Next


Trending Now

US says it will no longer seize reporters’ records in leak probes