2021-09-04 by W.M.
Amber Alert lifted after 3-year-old Quebec boy, suspect father located on 5th day of search
A Quebec boy who was the subjectof a five-day-long Amber Alert and his father have been found, provincial police confirmed Saturday evening.
In a tweet, the Sûrete du Quebecsaid this new development effectively puts an end to theAmber Alert in place since Tuesday.Police did not provide an update on the boy or his father’s conditions.
A police operation is still underwayon Chemin de la Coulee-Carrier in Sainte-Paulein connection with the case. The SQ is urging people to avoid the area and says itwill not disclose more information”as not to harm the current operation.”
The SQissued an Amber Alert for the three-year-old boy Tuesday after they believed his 36-year-old fatherabducted him from the area of Sainte-Paule, Que.,locatedon the Gaspe Peninsula about630 kilometres northeast of Montreal.
At the height of the search, the alert applied to all of Quebec and New Brunswick.
We confirm that we have located the child and the suspect. Which ends the current Amber Alert. For the moment, we will not communicate further so as not to interfere with the current operation. We ask citizens to stay away from the area.
More than 100 people from different organizations were deployed on the ground this Saturday to participate in the search.
Police had previously posited that the pair could have been in the woods near the town on the Gaspepeninsula, saying the man was known to have wilderness survival skills and may be using materials gathered from nearby chalets and trailers.
Friday evening, police discoveredpersonal belongings of both father and son with traces of the pair’s DNA. This confirmed police were searching in the right area,a dense forest near the town, and suggested the two were alive, said Helène St-Pierre, a spokesperson for the SQ.