Dozens killed in Pakistani train fire after cooking stoves explode inside carriage

At least 71 people are dead after a fire caused by gas cooking stoves ripped through a train in Pakistan, officials say.

The blaze started as the train was approaching the town of Liaquatpur in Punjab on Thursday.

Railways Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmad said some of the passengers were trying to prepare breakfast on the stove as the train was moving, in violation of railway rules.

“Two cooking stoves blew up. They were cooking, they had [cooking] oil, which added fuel to the fire,” Mr Ahmad told local media.

“Most deaths occurred from people jumping off the train.”

Mr Ahmad said people sneaking stoves onto trains in order to prepare meals on long journeys was a common problem.

Survivors recall lucky escape

Dozens killed in Pakistani train fire after cooking stoves explode inside carriage